Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

And on to other things! PLANNING the food you eat.

The pantry & freezer have been cleared out a bit and now it's on to other things.  Honestly, I got tired of Turkey Burgers so it was time to have some RED MEAT!  I'm still keeping food shopping to a minimum, because my big plan is to carefully re-stock the freezer. 

The challenge of eating what we already have on hand really inspired me to be creative and save money.  It also made me realize I need to change the way I shop for and store food a bit.

One thing I think I can take away from this experience is to actually calculate how much food we will need for, say, a 6 month period of time, and kind of pre-plan what we will make.   For example, we can designate one night a week as "ground meat" night to make hamburgers, meatballs, spaghetti, etc.  and order 26 packages of ground meat.   

Up to now, I've just been going around all willy-nilly buying what's on sale - which is great! I'll continue to look for sales to stock up, but with an actual plan in mind.   

Now, I am not sitting down and making a meal plan for an entire 6 months, that would exhaust me and make me crazy, but I feel I can handle something like this:

Sunday: Chicken
Monday: Fish
Tuesday: Ground Meat
Wednesday: eat out or leftovers
Thursday: Chicken
Friday: Fish
Saturday: Beef or Pork

This is just an example I pulled out of the air.  But it will help determine how many servings of meat we need for the year.  Perhaps one night can even be a Vegetarian or Bean night - it doesn't have to be all about the meat.

Here's a link to some forms that may help if you're interested in trying this as well.


http://www.scribd.com/cookncents

No comments:

Post a Comment